RE: Last Dinosaur of 2011

About as yeah. After reading the papers on Rubeosaurus, I'm of the
opinion the differences between Rubeosaurus and Styracosaurus are at
best specific level. At best. I've gone back over the last few years in
Ceratopsian taxonomy, and we seem to be moving into another massive
splitting phase. Which to be honest is driving me up the wall.

---

Michael O'Sullivan

Palaeobiology Research Group
Postgraduate Student
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Email:michael.osullivan@port.ac.uk
>>> Jaime Headden  31/12/11 6:31 PM >>>

About as skeptical as *Rubeosaurus* being a disctinct taxon from
*Styracosaurus*? I think while it would be more favorable to include
species in the nearest available and useful taxon that already exists
for them, there is still a useful need to separate species as functional
binomina (even if neontologists laugh at it) when plausible. Both
*Rubeosaurus ovatus* and *Spinops sternbergorum* were recovered in
phylogenetic positions either intermediate to or in polytmous
arrangements to, *Styracosaurus,* *Centrosaurus*, et al. These analyses
are based on weak me, so it's no wonder they show weak support for the
nodes offered, but this doesn't raise the value of the taxa, regardless
of which "generic" container they fall into. So, I wonder: Is that good
enough?

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/

his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a
Billion Backs)