Dan Varner has passed

Dear friends and colleagues,  I have just received this from Marcia Bell,
Dan's wife.     Jane Davidson
From: Danvarner@aol.com [Danvarner@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 8:50 AM
To: Jane P Davidson
Subject: Dan passed away last night

I'm numb.  I'm walking into the walls and sobbing.

He'd been failing for the past few days.  Uncomfortable despite the meds.
Refusing food but always asking for water.  I'll spare you the grisly medical
details.  Under the circumstances, it was pretty peaceful.

Did you know that when someone dies at home without a medical professional
present, the entire town police force and EMS squad parade in and out of your
house for hours?  It was surreal.  The police stayed until the hospice nurse
showed up.  She stayed to release the body to the funeral home.

A friend and my sister came over and sat through it with me.  Or I'd have gone
nuts.

He wanted cremation so I have to go to the funeral home in an hour and make the
arrangements.  His exact words were, "No taxidermy."

His coat and shoes are where he left them.  He's everywhere I look.  Goddess
get me through the next few days and all the days after that.

He was so special.  And we loved each other so much.  I'm glad we at least got
a chance to say it.

Marcia