Re: Retroposon evidence for an explosive radiation of Neoaves

2012/1/3 David Černý <david.cerny1@gmail.com>:
> A recent neontological paper that may be of interest to the DML:
>
> Matzke A, Churnakov G, Berkes P, Arms EM, Kelsey D, Brosius J, Kriegs
> JO, Schmitz J 2012 Retroposon insertion patterns of neoavian birds:
> strong evidence for an extensive incomplete lineage sorting era. Mol
> Biol Evol doi:10.1093/molbev/msr319
>
> Abstract:
>
> More than one hundred fifty million years ago the avian lineage
> separated from that of other dinosaurs and later diversified into the
> more than 10,000 species extant today. The early neoavian bird
> radiations most likely occurred in the late Cretaceous (more than 65
> Ma), but left behind few if any molecular signals of their archaic
> evolutionary past. Retroposed elements, once established in an
> ancestral population, are highly valuable, virtually homoplasy-free
> markers of species evolution; after applying stringent orthology
> criteria, their phylogenetically informative presence/absence patterns
> are free of random noise and independent of evolutionary rate or
> nucleotide composition effects. We screened for early neoavian
> orthologous retroposon insertions and identified six markers with
> conflicting presence/absence patterns; whereas six additional
> retroposons established before or after the presumed major neoavian
> radiation show consistent phylogenetic patterns. The exceptionally
> frequent
> conflicting retroposon presence/absence patterns of neoavian orders
> are strong indicators of an extensive incomplete lineage sorting era,
> potentially induced by an early rapid successive speciation of
> ancestral Neoaves.

So more than two major clades descend from the ancestral neoavian
population. Fascinating!

I don't seem to have access to the paper--if anyone wants to forward
the PDF, it would be appreciated.

[Note: the DOI reported on the page doesn't appear to be functional currently]
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/