Re: Tail assisted pitch control in lizards, robots and dinosaurs

From: Ben Creisler
bscreisler@yahoo.com

Here's the full ref and a link to a Nature news article with a video:

 Thomas Libby, Talia Y. Moore, Evan Chang-Siu, Deborah Li, Daniel J. Cohen,
Ardian Jusufi & Robert J. Full (2012)
Tail-assisted pitch control in lizards, robots and dinosaurs.
Nature (advance online publication)
doi:10.1038/nature10710
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature10710.html

In 1969, a palaeontologist proposed that theropod dinosaurs used their tails as
dynamic stabilizers during rapid or irregular movements, contributing to their
depiction as active and agile predators. Since then the inertia of swinging
appendages has been implicated in stabilizing human walking, aiding acrobatic
manoeuvres by primates and rodents, and enabling cats to balance on branches.
Recent studies on geckos suggest that active tail stabilization occurs during
climbing, righting and gliding. By contrast, studies on the effect of lizard
tail loss show evidence of a decrease, an increase or no change in performance.
Application of a control-theoretic framework could advance our general
understanding of inertial appendage use in locomotion. Here we report that
lizards control the swing of their tails in a measured manner to redirect
angular momentum from their bodies to their tails, stabilizing body attitude in
the sagittal plane. We video-recorded
 Red-Headed Agama lizards (Agama agama) leaping towards a vertical surface by
first vaulting onto an obstacle with variable traction to induce a range of
perturbations in body angular momentum. To examine a known controlled tail
response, we built a lizard-sized robot with an active tail that used sensory
feedback to stabilize pitch as it drove off a ramp. Our dynamics model revealed
that a body swinging its tail experienced less rotation than a body with a
rigid tail, a passively compliant tail or no tail. To compare a range of tails,
we calculated tail effectiveness as the amount of tailless body rotation a tail
could stabilize. A model Velociraptor mongoliensis supported the initial tail
stabilization hypothesis1, showing as it did a greater tail effectiveness than
the Agama lizards. Leaping lizards show that inertial control of body attitude
can advance our understanding of appendage evolution and provide biological
inspiration for the next
 generation of manoeuvrable search-and-rescue robots.

News Article with video:
 http://www.nature.com/news/leaping-lizards-jurassic-park-got-it-right-1.9736