Re: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

Since it's the most important thing people can learn from dinosaurs
(IMHO), I'll occasionally use similar language. I take a lot for
granted, but when I talk to people about my silly little interest, and
the bird-dinosaur link, I have that bubble popped. I was talking to
another student recently about a project I'm doing on the fossil
record of feathers, and when I talked about the fossil evidence for
birds rising from theropods, she said "oh yeah, like pterodactyls."
People who don't pay much attention to paleontology think all kinds of
crazy things that go against what I think of as common knowledge (and
tire of rehashing on the blog).

It's a little cute to talk about a downy woodpecker on a suet cake as
a little dinosaur (and my wife's ribbing certainly helps keep me in
check), but it's a way to open up a conversation about evolution. And
I can see why it would drive a BANDit up a wall.

David

--
---

Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs: http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com