Re: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/2012 9:09 AM, Andreas Johansson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, David Orr<chasmosaurs@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it's the most important thing people can learn from dinosaurs
>>> (IMHO), I'll occasionally use similar language. I take a lot for
>>> granted, but when I talk to people about my silly little interest, and
>>> the bird-dinosaur link, I have that bubble popped. I was talking to
>>> another student recently about a project I'm doing on the fossil
>>> record of feathers, and when I talked about the fossil evidence for
>>> birds rising from theropods, she said "oh yeah, like pterodactyls."
>>> People who don't pay much attention to paleontology think all kinds of
>>> crazy things that go against what I think of as common knowledge (and
>>> tire of rehashing on the blog).
>>

>> I try and keep a mental list of animals I've heard refered to as
>> "dinosaurs" in apparent seriousness. It ranges from the expected (eg.
>> plesiosaurs, _Dimetrodon_) to the baffling (eg. mammoths, living
>> alligators).
>

> And the slanderous (e.g., politicians)...

The better to maintain what remains of my faith in humanity, I presume
that all instances of refering to conspecifics as "dinosaurs" fail the
seriousness criterion. People who call politicians "dinosaurs" are, I
must believe, being metaphorical.

--
Andreas Johansson