RE: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:09:34 +0100
> From: andreasj@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, David Orr <chasmosaurs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since it's the most important thing people can learn from dinosaurs
> > (IMHO), I'll occasionally use similar language. I take a lot for
> > granted, but when I talk to people about my silly little interest, and
> > the bird-dinosaur link, I have that bubble popped. I was talking to
> > another student recently about a project I'm doing on the fossil
> > record of feathers, and when I talked about the fossil evidence for
> > birds rising from theropods, she said "oh yeah, like pterodactyls."
> > People who don't pay much attention to paleontology think all kinds of
> > crazy things that go against what I think of as common knowledge (and
> > tire of rehashing on the blog).
>
> I try and keep a mental list of animals I've heard refered to as
> "dinosaurs" in apparent seriousness. It ranges from the expected (eg.
> plesiosaurs, _Dimetrodon_) to the baffling (eg. mammoths,

 We can probably blame one of two things for that:
a) "both are extinct."  (by extension, a misunderstanding of Deep Time)
b) movies and tv shows with dinosaurs and mammoths walking around together.

> living
> alligators).

 That one's probably because of the nature documentaries talking about
crocodilians surviving unchanged since the Mesozoic & being dinosaur cousins.