Re: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Paul P <turtlecroc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > But seriously, when do you ever hear that?
>
> Of course, most people don't actually say that (thank
> heavens) but i've said things like that myself once or
> twice to get a reaction, and more and more museum displays
> do say exactly that.

In this case, it's an affectation. Compare:

"Ooh, look at all the little saurischians out in the birdbath."
"Ooh, look at all the little sauropsids out in the birdbath."
"Ooh, look at all the little vertebrates out in the birdbath."

>The AMNH exhibit says (or at least
> used to say) "Dinosaurs range in size from the huge
> Supersaurus to the tiny hummingbird." Something like
> that (not sure it was Supersaurus). I almost blew my
> lunch the first time i read that.

In this case, it's not an affectation. Those really are the largest
(or close to it) and smallest dinosaurs. Compare:

"Saurischians range in size from the huge Supersaurus to the tiny hummingbird."
"Sauropsids range in size from the huge Supersaurus to the tiny hummingbird."
"Vertebrates range in size from the huge blue whale to the tiny Paedocypris."

> Birds are no more dinosaurs than we are synapsids.

We are synapsids.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/