Re: Caudipteryx suffered from osteoarthritis

"whether or not Caudipteryx is a bird depends objectively
on what definition of "bird" is used"

I think his point is that words don't have inherently fixed meanings,
so *choosing* a definition is, in itself, a somewhat subjective
endeavor. For example, whether we use the word "bird" to mean
crown-group avians alone or crown-group plus some number of extinct
taxa is subjective. It's just a word, and although it carries
important historical and cultural implications, it doesn't change the
underlying reality in either scenario. So obviously, the phylogeny
itself is not subjective - it's empirical. But selecting a word to
attach to the empirical observation is indeed subjective, ultimately.
We could choose to use the word "tweeties" or "drumsticks" or any
other word as the symbol that conveys the objective meaning, as long
as we all agreed to it and understood the intented content. Whatever
sound our vocal apparatus can produce that we happen to employ doesn't
matter as long as the meaning is clear.

So I agree with him that choosing to use the word "bird" is
subjective, but I agree with you that it is objective as long as we
stick to pre-specified definitions, which provide the basis for a
shared objective standard. But it's the definition that counts in that
case, not the phonemes we staple to it.