RE: Caudipteryx suffered from osteoarthritis

  It is not the reviewers' job to actually perform science for the authors, or
be the one's to make sure the authors are performing science when commenting on
a philosophical nature about which of of what I called "the golden line" a
taxon is on. Whether the authors call *Caudipteryx zoui* a bird is not, I
think, up to scientific purview, although it can be and should be responded to
in the fullness of the author's conclusions. This is one of the reasons I
prefer tackling work of authors like Lingham-Soliar, who's analysis and
methodology are certainly fully within the scientific purview, and thus I can
make these kind of sweeping arguments (as I did here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/lingham-soliars-review-of-chinese-fossil-preservation/
 ). The definition for a undefined entity "bird" should not be one of those
things up for review, though the tendency of the authors to ignore relevant
papers can be ... yet no one goes out in print to call them on their s**t. When
someone does, this might actually be a legitimate claim against their "process."

  As for sentence length, I've seen longer. Some literature blokes seem to
enjoy trying to outdo one another in forming incredibly long sentences. This
one just turned out that way because I was using perentheses and long dashes to
break the sentence up.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)