RE: Caudipteryx suffered from osteoarthritis

  People can doubt that penguins are birds, just as when they can doubt that
tomatoes are fruit, because there was a general impression that penguins were
fish, like whales. Definitions of vernacular are much more flexible than you
give it credit for, but you seem to want to treat the term as representative of
a phylogenetic hypothesis. Matt already responded, I think adequately, to this
point by arguing that the definition of "bird" is not fixed, and I argued on my
own that the authors treat "bird" as a sacred cow. They are not using a
phylogenetic concept here, and in fact argue against cladistic analysis and
phylogenetic nomenclature in some cases (Mickey Mortimer or others may be able
to clarify on this better than I, as he's been collecting the damned things for
more completely than I).

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)