RE: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

  No, I do not think you get it. In the first instance, it is about
professional language: We talk about how *Panthera atrox* is a pantherin felid
feliformian carnivoran feraean eutherian therian mammmalian synapsid, not just
a "cave lion." In the second instance, it is replacing the vernacular with the
technical; it isn't _wrong_, but it's not what Tom was talking about. He
remains correct on this instance. I still call my cat by the term "cat," and
not more technical language when just talking about her -- but reference to the
species, to the _taxonomy_, is a whole 'nother matter.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/