Re: FW: Feduccia (mis)quotes me and mentions the DML in his new book

On Sat, January 7, 2012 8:27 pm, Paul P wrote:
> --- On Thu, 1/5/12, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> > We are descended from synapsids, but no one would say that we
>> > are synapsids, or extant synapsids, or mammalian synapsids.
>>
>> Ummm... Yes, we DO say that.
>
> (AND:)
> --- On Thu, 1/5/12, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Except when discussing the origins of birds or matter related
>> to that, people don't talk that way.
>>
>> It is probably about as common as saying:
>>
>> [when looking at kittens]: "What cute synapsids!"
>>

> So which is it..?
>
> You see my point.
>
> No reply necessary. :)

Please note:
">> Except when discussing the origins of birds or matter related
>> to that, people don't talk that way."

So when discussing mammals positions within Tetrapoda, or about the the
differential survival of different types of synapsids, you DO say "mammals
are the living synapsids".

When you are a just walking around and see a kitten, you don't.

If you don't get this distinction, please think about it. Context is
highly important in language.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216