Re: Where would you hunt dinos?

On Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:28 AM, "Stephen V. Cole" <adbinc@arn.net> wrote:

> 3. Financing jobs for preparators: Sure, that too, if Tom Holtz
> thinks it worthy, since I (figuratively) gave that million to him to
> use as he thinks best. But such a job costs what, $40K a year,
> meaning you'd be able to finance 50 such people for one year, or ten
> for five years? Would that really make a difference?

More preparators would *always* make a difference. Here in Australia fossils
are pulled out of the
ground at a much faster rate than they can be prepared, meaning that a decade
might go by
before an important specimen is even recognised (let alone described).

The Dinosaur Dreaming Project has even gone to the trouble of CT scanning
partially prepared
fossils that show promise in a local hospital. The digital results that I've
seen are spectacular, but
the cost involved still makes manual preparation a more viable option.

Dann Pigdon