RE: Where would you hunt dinos?

> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:28:39 -0600
> From: adbinc@arn.net
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Where would you hunt dinos?
>
> A few comments
>
> 1. I did not mean to exclude hunting in the US or Canada. I was just
> trying to think of places I had heard of.

 But aren't all the places that most people have heard of, the ones which have
been dug at more?  (and thus not on the list of "under-explored sites" you
seemed to have hinted at in your original post)

> I'd have thought that it
> was obvious that the list was not exclusive, but just examples. I
> would say that the leader right now is that Holtz fellow who wanted
> to go hunt triassic formations. Figuring out where dinos came from
> would seem to be more important than figuring out where they went.

I know where they went: on my car.  takes forever to wash the mess off.
:)

> 2. I certainly never implied buying black market fossils. We all know
> why that's a bad idea.
>
> 3. Financing jobs for preparators: Sure, that too, if Tom Holtz
> thinks it worthy, since I (figuratively) gave that million to him

 hypothetically.

> use as he thinks best. But such a job costs what, $40K a year,
> meaning you'd be able to finance 50 such people for one year, or ten
> for five years? Would that really make a difference? Given the
> million, could the Holtz Fund seeking matching contributions to
> double the bang for the buck?

My *guess* is that it would depend on who you approach, and what you're
offering.

> 4. I am kinda curious just what, in round numbers, it would take to
> send a dozen paleos to Shangri-la for a month?

 Which Shangri-la?