RE: Where would you hunt dinos?

Plus, let's not forget that old problem of needing experience to land a
job: a full time preparator needs a portfolio of work to present at an
interview, and the best way to generate that is through volunteering at
a museum. I agree that it would be cool for the NHMUK to be less reliant
on volunteers, but times are tough in this sector at the moment: at
least the science doesn't suffer so much this way. We just have to hope
that, when we're all a little healthier financially, some of the most
skilled NHMUK volunteers will be put on the payroll.

Cheers,

The other Mark W

--

Dr. Mark Witton
www.markwitton.com

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to pop by:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> Mark Wildman <saurian@live.co.uk> 11/01/2012 11:18 >>>

My limited experience with volunteers suggest that they are often
people who have the time to spare regardless of the economic climate and
who, obviously, can afford to do so. Add the fact that they have to
demonstrate an obvious affinity with natural history and/or
palaeontology as a pre-requisite suggests that they will stay for a
reasonable amount of time - unless it is apparent that the art of
preparation is not for them. But I completely agree that, in an ideal
world, it would be hugely beneficial for any museum or institution to
have the funding for extra preparators and conservers on a permanent
basis.

Regards,

Mark