Hind limb proportions in big theropods (was RE: Stubby-Limbed _Spinosaurus_?)

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Scott Hartman
>
> FWIW, the legs aren't really "incredibly stubby" in my
> opinion...in fact they're at most 5% shorter than the ones I
> guestimated for my recent skeletal:
> http://skeletaldrawing.blogspot.com/2012/01/revisiting-fisher-
> king.html

This relates to a problem I have encountered with a lot of the CG models on
documentaries. That is the attempt to give other big
theropods tyrannosaurid-limb proportions (or even beyond-tyrannosaurid limb
proportions). With the exception of Gigantoraptor (and
presumably Deinocheirus, if and when the legs are ever found), no large bodied
theropods known had legs with distal limb elements as
long and slender as tyrannosaurids. Short and stocky represents the main
allometric pattern. But CG spinosaurids and allosauroids
are given legs at least as long and slender, if not more so, than
tyrannosaurids!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216