Adivce needed: Pterosaur femoral head angles and diagnoses

To Whom It May Concern

I've been been spending the last few days looking at some photos of some
fairly scrappy pterosaur material, and I've run into a problem. I'm
looking at an isolated femur, preserved in what I think is
anterior/medial view. As far as I can tell, and I'm new at this so
forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, its lacking diagnosable
features. However, the angle of the femoral head relative to the shaft
is easily measurable. I'm sure I remember being told about how the angle
can be diagnostic. I know for instance that in ornithocheiroids the head
is fairly perpendicular relative to the shaft. I'd be happy to get this
thing down to either pterodactyloid or non-pterodactyloid. If anyone
could recommend some reading material which covers this topic, even
briefly, I would be extremely grateful...been trawling through
literature for going on 4 hours, the only relatively useful paper I
found was Jensen and Padian (1989) but that deals with the topic in
dorsoventral view.

Michael

---

Michael O'Sullivan