Re: Complete specimens

Well, depends on what you mean by "complete". Obviously we don't have soft
tissues and such and whole growth series and behaviors for non-avian
dinosaurs.

But we have pretty much complete skeletons for a bunch of dinosaurs:
Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Coelophysis,
Dilophosaurus, a bunch of Yixian coelurosaurs, just among the theropods.

If you check the chapters of DInosauria II it lists the ones known in 2004
that had relatively complete skeletons.

On Tue, July 3, 2012 10:09 pm, Joe Gilvary wrote:
> Today my son asked whether there are complete specimens of dinosaurs out
> there. I think, from what I've read, that there are probably complete
> remains of Allosaurus, Triceratops, and maybe a few others, but I don't
> know. Since it would be criminal to steer a budding paleontologist
> wrong,  I'll turn to the folks who do know the answer to his question.
>
> For which genera do we have specimens of complete  remains?
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Joe

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084