Turtle phylogeny based on DNA study (free pdf)

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

OK--not dino related but a new study about turtle evolution using
mitochondrial and nuclear DNA that may be interest to some. The pdf is
free:

http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/ctz/

Jean-Michel Guillon, Loreleï Guéry, Vincent Hulin & Marc Girondo (2012)
A large phylogeny of turtles (Testudines) using molecular data.
Contributions to Zoology 81 (3): 147-158
To refer to this article use this url:
http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/ctz/vol81/nr03/art02
http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ctz;sid=c80c1eea362e16a840444d9afdec702f;view=text;idno=m8103a02;rgn=div1;node=m8103a02:1

Abstract

Turtles (Testudines) form a monophyletic group with a highly
distinctive body plan. The taxonomy and phylogeny of turtles are still
under discussion, at least for some clades. Whereas in most previous
studies, only a few species or genera were considered, we here use an
extensive compilation of DNA sequences from nuclear and mitochondrial
genes for more than two thirds of the total number of turtle species
to infer a large phylogeny for this taxon. Our results enable us to
discuss previous hypotheses on species phylogeny or taxonomy. We are
thus able to discriminate between competing hypotheses and to suggest
taxonomical modifications. Finally, we pinpoint the remaining
ambiguities for this phylogeny and the species for which new sequences
should be obtained to improve phylogenetic resolution.