From: "Michael OSullivan" <Michael.OSullivan@port.ac.uk>
To: tyazbeck@comcast.net, dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:26:18 PM
Subject: Re: Mesozoic birds made insects shrink

I would have to disagree there. Pterosaur diversity is at its highest in the
Early Cretaceous, which actually coincides with the increased diversity of
birds. I would suspect, and not something I've looked into so just speculation,
birds expanded to fill the niches left by reduced pterosaur diversity in the
Late Cretaceous rather than birds being a contributing factor. The same may be
said for an increase in small avian diversity in the Early Cretaceous, evolving
to fill empty niches rather than being the factor of extinction.

It's an interesting idea about the bird insect relationship. Won't lie, little
sceptical on the outset, but I'll have a read next week, see what it says.

Were birds massively successful from the beginning? I don't know. The quality
of the Jurassic fossil is such that I'd be hesitant about trusting any
diversity signals it gives. It think Aves was a well adapted group early on,
but I don't know if they were exceptionally successful...annnnd now I've given
myself a spare time research topic.

---

Michael O'Sullivan

Palaeobiology Research Group
Postgraduate Student
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Email:michael.osullivan@port.ac.uk
>>> 05/06/12 5:20 PM >>>
It reminds me of the idea that birds out-competed pterosaurs. I would imagine
that had the K/T extinction not occured, the birds would still eventually lead
the pterosaurs to extinction. They must have been quite diverse/advanced by the
Campanian when only very large pterodactyls were left. And since the
ramphorynchoids and small pterosaurs died out as the birds were just starting
to emerge, it seems to me that the Aves were explosively successful from the
outset (Archaeopteryx). Does anyone have more info on this idea?

Tom Yazbeck