From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:32:31 PM
Subject: Re: Mesozoic birds made insects shrink

> I meant to say that they were not as efficient as birds

But what gives you _that_ idea?

> What about the intelligence of the pterosaurs?

Good question. Very difficult to answer from a few braincase endocasts.

> And weren't pterosaurs bad at taking off/landing?

No. That has been discussed on this list in great detail.

> With their thicker integument, I would venture to say that
> birds were able to survive in colder regions than pterosuars could.

1) Are you sure it's thicker? 2) What colder regions? Pterosaurs did fine even
in temperate Liaoning.

> And as far as I know, Pterosauria can only belong to one class:
> Reptilia.

Even if you insist on having classes, alternatives are available. You could
give them their own class (has been done), or you could give something like
Ornithodira class status (has also been done -- "Endosauropsida")...