Re: Mesozoic birds made insects shrink

Makes me wonder if bats ever compete with goatsuckers...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:53:56 PM
Subject: Re: Mesozoic birds made insects shrink

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM,  <tyazbeck@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'll look up the take-off and landing info later. What about the speed of
> flight in pter. compared to birds? I don't doubt that they were warm-blooded,
> but it seems that pterosaurs would be less agile in flight, and very
> voulnerable on the ground. Wouldn't feathers be better (more durable?) than
> skin? Wouldn't a pterosaur with a torn wing be SCREWED, i.e. theropod bait?
> Still, I suspect that the advancement of birds would cause at least a few
> problems for the flying reptiles.

Is there much data on how a torn wing affects bat flight? Seems they'd
have the same problem.

It may be true that pterosaurs were less adept on the ground than
birds, since the hindlimbs are neither cursorial nor decoupled. More
like bats in that regard.

How well do we understand what the evolution of bats meant for birds?
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/