From: "Mike Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:51:30 PM
Subject: Re: Mesozoic birds made insects shrink

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Dr Ronald Orenstein
<ron.orenstein@rogers.com> wrote:
> Oddly, the one thing that birds seem to have done better than either
> pterosaurs or bats is to evolve flightless terrestrial forms - presumably
> because of the decoupling of the wing mechanisms.

One other thing they did better was get their transitional forms
fossilized -- we're still waiting on prevolant stem-bats and prevolant
non-pterosaurian pterosauromorphs. Would be interested if this were
related somehow to the locomotion differences.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/