From: "Raptorial Talon" <raptorialtalon@gmail.com>
To: tyazbeck@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:12:55 PM
Subject: Re: Magnapaulia, "new" lambeosaurine from Baja California, Mexico

The fact that it's arbitrary is why it's not a question of science, but rather
one of semantics and taxonomic bookkeeping. That's the point.

The "average man" isn't a good benchmark here, because people have different
subjective tastes and preferences when it comes to this sort of thing. E.g.,
many average people don't know that a moose is a kind of deer, yet lump many or
even all terrestrial invertebrates together as "insects." The average man
suffers from typological thinking that greatly hinders the ability to analyze
phylogenetic realities.

"Real" biodiversity, whatever it is exactly, is difficult to capture even with
species concepts, let alone the arbitrary higher taxonomic groupings. Only
individual taxa (or even only individual specimens) can provide an objective
groundwork for that kind of analysis. "Species" is difficult to use, and
anything past that is  useless because cladogenesis doesn't respect convenient
qualitative categories.

So, whether a given taxon is listed as monotypic or as part of a large genus
doesn't matter in cladistics, as long as the groupings are monophyletic. Naming
conventions should ideally reflect real patterns of ancestry, but past that
everything is just for ease of use.