RE: synapsids (was RE: pdf request)

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of tyazbeck@comcast.net
>
> If you visit David Peters' website, he has his own
> mega-cladogram that apparently includes more reptile taxa
> than any other. I believe he includes the synapsida as the
> sister of Archosauromorpha. Could synapsids and diapsids be
> sister taxa, a clade excluding parareptiles, or even other
> reptiles? I don't know a lot about Paleozoic diapsids, but I
> hope someone else does.

I will leave it for others to comment on detail, if they wish (David? Mickey?).
But in brief, Peter's analyses have a lot to be
desired in terms of anatomical interpretation, methodological approaches, etc.

The wealth of data (genetic, genomic, morphological, developmental, etc.)
pretty securely place turtles and traditional diapsids
together in at least some combination, and the skeletal data for parareptiles
being closer to diapsids than to synapsids is very
strong.

The idea of a synapsid-archosaur or synapsid-diapsid clade clade has a long
history (Diaptosauria; early non-computerized cladistic
analyses, etc.) And you can certainly pick out a few characters to support it
(thecodonty, for one). But it doesn't pop out in the
really comprehensive studies of Permo-Triassic critters.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/