Re: Gargantuavis neck vertebra

The one problem I have with the paper is the reference of an isolated
vertebra not only to a specific genus, but to a particular species that is not
from exactly the same formation and level of that formation, and when there
are no cervicals known from the holotype or even from any other specimen that
can be assigned to the group. After all, just a thousand years ago there
were a whole lot of similar modest sized moa species crawling around New
Zealand. Who knows how many gargantuavid (not sure if this is the family name,
too
lazy to check) species and genera were wandering around on the island/s
(not sure how many there were, too lazy to check) of Campanian/Maastrichtian
southern France. Must have been a number of them if that Darwin was right
about evolution of the species. Chucking isolated material into a species is
more often than not a very bad habit that we need to stifle yourselves on. Like
tossing all Triceratops random bones into T. horridus when it now looks
like there are two or more species separated stratigraphically. Another bad one
is labeling all allosaurid remains from the Morrison (except the top) A.
fragilis. Pleeeze.

GSPaul</HTML>