Re: Gargantuavis neck vertebra

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:11 AM,  <GSP1954@aol.com> wrote:

> And just one species of ostrich lives over a huge area of Africa, so it is
> possible that the Late Cret big bird remains are just one species. Should
> not be formalized by assignment though.

Much as with Loxodonta, many now consider there to be two species of
Struthio as well! (S. camelus, the Common Ostrich, and S.
molybdophanes, the Somali Ostrich.) However, the ranges don't overlap
(that I know of, anyway -- the East African Rift forms the boundary),
so your point is still valid.
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/