Re: Phorusrhacos “wrinkle bearer (jaw)”: (Type Specimen correction)

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

My apologies for an error in one of the notes in my posting about the
name Phorusrhacos. It was a detail I should have deleted.. After
rechecking, the original (type) specimen for Phorusrhacos longissimus
is MLP-118 in the La Plata Museum. The British Museum specimen
BMNH-A530 is a lower jaw very similar in appearance but is not the
original first described by Ameghino.Ameghino did sell much of his
collection of fossil birds to the British Museum of Natural History as
stated.