Re: Triassic archosaur bipedality and cursoriality

This is something I've been saying for a long time: That the shift
from quadrupedality to bipedality in various archosaurs (including
dinosaurs) was associated mostly with a locomotory function
(cursoriality).  It had little or nothing to do with freeing up the
forelimbs for non-locomotory functions (like grasping prey or plants).

http://dml.cmnh.org/2011Oct/msg00086.html
http://dml.cmnh.org/2011Oct/msg00157.html

Once the forelimbs became free from their use in terrestrial
locomotion, *then* they could be exploited for other functions.  Such
as predation; or as defensive weapons; or as wings.  However, by and
large, for many non-avian theropods the forelimbs don't appear to have
been terribly useful.  Velociraptorines are an exception, in which the
forelimbs were apparently used to grasp hefty prey.  But most other
predatory theropods seem to have used their forelimbs to *help*
position or secure prey already captured by the jaws or feet.  Not the
carnotaurines though, which shrunk their forelimbs into oblivion.

I suspect one of the reasons that forelimbs transformed into wings in
the ancestors of birds is that the forelimbs were not much use for
anything.  The semilunate carpal joint was there to help fold the
hands, and help keep them out of the way.