Re: Torosaurus NOT Triceratops

On Fri, Mar 2nd, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Paul P <turtlecroc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think in a year or two you will see someone arguing
> that Toro is the mature form only of *male* Trikes.
> Despite Horner and Padian on dimorphism, that seems to
> me a more likely

It could be even narrower than that. Some modern animals (particularly
primates) only develop
fully mature male characteristics once they become the alpha male in a group.
It seems that in
some species, the presence of a dominant male will suppress hormone production
in other male
members of the group, preventing them from fully realising their developmental
potential. I believe
it's known as either socioendocrinology or psychoendocrinology.

Dann Pigdon