RE: Velociraptor scavenged azhdarchid pterosaur

On Mon, Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

>   But even if the *Protoceratops andrewsi* were capable of selecting living
> prey the size of a
> "raptor," it is another thing to presume that it was regular in this habit.
> Even in modern
> herbivores that select animal prey (deer eating birds, grave-robbing
> elephants, and of course
> omnivory in swine and boars) this is not regular or even preferential: They
> _are_ herbivores,
> after all.

Show me a living analogue for a 'herbivore' with a freaking huge beak and
outrageously powerful
jaw muscles to power it and I might be convinced of the unlikelihood. The jaw
apparatus of
protoceratops seems to be over-engineered for strict herbivory. Given its
apparently arid or semi-
arid habitat, assuming opportunistic omnivory may not be such a stretch. In
really bad times of
extended drought, tackling even a velociraptor out of desperation might have
been worthwhile.

Dann Pigdon