Re: Velociraptor scavenged azhdarchid pterosaur

On Mar 4, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:

> Show me a living analogue for a 'herbivore' with a freaking huge beak and
> outrageously powerful
> jaw muscles to power it and I might be convinced of the unlikelihood. The jaw
> apparatus of
> protoceratops seems to be over-engineered for strict herbivory. Given its
> apparently arid or semi-
> arid habitat, assuming opportunistic omnivory may not be such a stretch. In
> really bad times of
> extended drought, tackling even a velociraptor out of desperation might have
> been worthwhile.

Parrots and giant tortoises immediately come to mind.

At a casual glance, there are animals with high bite forces in all of the major
categories of feeding (i.e. herbivory, carnivory, omnivory).  While bite force
adaptations give some idea of food preference within each category, I'm not
sure they say anything about a preference for meat over vegetation.

--Mike Habib

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology
Chatham University