Re: Velociraptor scavenged azhdarchid pterosaur

On Mar 6, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
> It's my understanding that stability-flapping required a complete
> flight stroke.  Were dromaeosaur forelimbs even capable of this range
> of motion?

I originally thought a large excursion would be needed, as well, but looking at
the problem a bit more, I'm not actually sure that's the case.  If you think
about what the wings are actually doing, it's basically roll and pitch
correction (mostly).  That really just requires asymmetrical forces between the
right and left wings.  So a more derived flight stroke certainly helps, but I'm
not sure it's a prerequisite.  That's just a rough assessment, though; I
haven't actually solved any equations on it yet.  Maybe someone else has
already tackled that problem?

Cheers,

--Mike Habib

Michael Habib