Re: Brachiosaur Jaws / Skulls...

On 8 March 2012 19:04, JA Maclaren <jm1551@my.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have an image or have access to a paper that describes the
> skull and mandible of Brachiosaurus altithorax?

The skull and mandible of Brachiosaurus altithorax is unknown -- not
to mention its neck upper back, nearly all of its tail, much of its
shoulder and pelvis, lower forelimbs, lower hindlimbs, hands and feet!
 For the full story, see my 2009 paper on Brachiosaurus, available
here.
        http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/pubs/

> As far as I can tell,
> many of the papers that look at feeding between sauropod guilds (e.g.
> raking diplodocoids, shearing camarasaurids etc.) use the Giraffatitan
> holotype mandible for their figures - this is awkward if you want to
> do a morphometric assessment of jaws across sauropods!! I can tell
> they will be similar, but need to quantify it...

No, Giraffatitan will be the best you can do.  The go-to reference is
Janensch's awesomely detailed 1935-1936 monograph.

-- Mike