From: Don Ohmes [d_ohmes@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 1:27 PM
To: Jason Brougham; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Microraptor Had Iridescent Plumage

On 3/9/2012 9:36 AM, Jason Brougham wrote:

>> Therefore don't you agree that the hypothesis that is most consistent
>> >  with the evidence is that of a bare distal rostrum?

> No.

Feathery snouts do seem an unlikely condition in beakless carnivores
that eat prey large enough to be messy. Carrion birds AFAIK strongly
support the underlying functional concept -- a bird (G. babatus) that
specializes in bone-eating has a feathered head, and G. angolensis is
likewise feathery -- the many vultures that specialize in accessing soft
tissue in larger carcasses do not have feathers where they will
routinely be coated w/ fluids.

Heh. Checking my perceptions about the generally featherless condition
of vulture heads uncovered a prank -- typing "vultures" in the Wikipedia
search box re-directs one to the page on "parliaments". :D