RE: Microraptor Had Iridescent Plumage

From:  Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

When I used the term "perching," I clearly should have put it in
quotes. Thanks to the high-resolution version of the illustration, the
gripping position of the second toe-claw is clear. This raises issues
about the possible climbing and gripping function of the enlarged claw
in addition to its likely role in holding or slashing prey. Could the
enlarged claw "hook" thin, cylindrical branches during a horizontal
landing as well as grip the bark on a tree trunk for a vertical
landing?