FW: Microraptor Had Iridescent Plumage

From: Jason Brougham
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 3:02 PM
To: d_ohmes@yahoo.com; "dinosaur@usc.edu"@listproc.usc.edu
Subject: RE: Microraptor Had Iridescent Plumage

One more thought, you speak of trying to clean gore out of feathers and having
it strip the bird, a scene I commend you for braving.

However those are pennaceous feathers of modern aspect, while deinonychosaurs
are thought to have simpler, primitive, feathers on the body, which may behave
more like the fur of coyotes and jackals and other mammalian scavengers.

Lastly birds preen and bathe. Maybe scavenger deinonychosaurs could have as
well. Or maybe they just stank to high heaven and tolerated septic faces better.