RE: Microraptor Had Iridescent Plumage

> Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:30:36 -0500
> From: d_ohmes@yahoo.com
>
> But am I correct in stating that "primitive" feathers, while not the
> same as modern feathers, do not show any particular evidence of being
> able to function as camo, display, insulation or lifting planes (or
> permutations thereof) when fouled w/ blood? Or of being attached in some
> special way?

 From what I've seem of primitive feathers*, they could be used for camoflage,
certainly...it could look like conifer leaves, mosses, grooved or shedding
bark, (too eary for grasses)...

...or at the very least, the tried and true principle of breaking up the body
outline.

* = I'm counting true primitive feathers, feathers that look primitive,
ornamentation which resembles primitive feathers, and illustrations of what the
stages of primitive feathers looked like.