RE: Brodavis, new freshwater Late Cretaceous hesperornithiform from Asia and North America

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:04:53 -0800

> A new family, Brodavidae, with one new genus and four species,

 One new genus so far.  Time alone will tell us how many genera it will come to
have.

> records of the order Hesperornithiformes, an extinct group of diving
> birds whose marine members had probably lost their powers of flight by
> the end of the Early Cretaceous. Minimal pachyostosis in the
> freshwater form suggests the possibility of volant abilities.

I would hazard a guess that the freshwater forms don't need to have much
pachyostosis, because they don't need to dive as deeply or for as long as their
marine kin.