Re: neornithean size

> - I think this
> pattern isn't necessarily an indicator that flightless birds are
> competitively inferior (ostritches obviously aren't, after all), but
> rather may just be an accident of history, with flightless birds
> unable to invade already filled niches

But I am always amazed at how easily invasive species walk into
communities and just create their own niche. Spending time in Florida
drives this home (Burmese pythons, cattle egrets, fire ants, etc.,
etc.). The concept of "already filled niches" assumes a concept of
niche that is too rigid, in my view. I honestly believe the original
question requires an answer beyond an accident of history...even if we
can't come up with it just yet.