RE: Wildfires in Cretaceous world

Looking forward to the paper! Geochemists have had a hard time on nailing down
pO<sub>2</sub> for ancient atmospheres
(CO<sub>2</sub> and some other gases have easier proxies; oxygen is so reactive
that you have to use several steps to get to its
level from the sedimentary record). Some modellers have suggested that most of
the Mesozoic had below-modern pO<sub>2</sub> levels,
but others suggested that it was higher than normal. This fire data seems to
support the latter.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216