RE: Abstracts should summarise (Was: Sauropod methane emissions)

I completely agree!  The only thing more frustrating are conference abstracts
that are guilty of this, since then there's not even a full paper to refer to
to find out the conclusion.  Worst SVP abstract format ever-

"Group X is a highly diverse clade found all over the world [duh].  Recently,
Genus was found from the Yixian Formation of Liaoning, China and described as a
member of Group X [we know].  Genus has several unique characters such as A, B
and C [yes, those were in the original description].  In order to test its
relationships, we conducted a broad phylogenetic analysis of Group X and
included Genus [ah good, that needed to be done. I'm interested to see what the
results are...].  The results are quite interesting and found a novel placement
for Genus [yes? YES?].  Placing Genus in the phylogeny of Group X has important
ramifications for biogeography and the evolution of function D [but but where
did you find it? that was just filler!]"

Mickey Mortimer