Re: Dinofarts / Sauropod methane emissions

> As Erik Boehm just explained, the second hypothesis is indistinguishable
> from the endosymbiotic origin of the mitochondria:

The initial symbiotic association may not necessarily have been
_endo_symbiotic.  It could have began as a syntrophic consortium of
bacterial and archaeal cells followed by cytoplasmic fusion and genome
extinction - rather than one cell being taken up inside another (as
proposed for the origin of mitochondria and chloroplasts via
endosymbiosis).

> I don't think I've ever seen Bacteria and Archaea depicted as sister-groups,
> except maybe to illustrate an ancient classification that had
> "Archaebacteria" and "Eubacteria".

Yes, me too.  Not since the advent of molecular phylogenetics.

Cheers

Tim