Theropod teeth from Teruel, Spain

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Francisco Gascó, Alberto Cobos, Rafael Royo-Torres, Luis Mampel and
Luis Alcalá (2012)
Theropod teeth diversity from the Villar del Arzobispo Formation
(Tithonian–Berriasian) at Riodeva (Teruel, Spain).
Palaeobiodiversity and Palaeoenvironments (advance online publication)
DOI: 10.1007/s12549-012-0079-3
http://www.springerlink.com/content/854583108214l506/

Riodeva sites (Villar del Arzobispo Fm) in Teruel, Spain, have
revealed themselves as a window through which to gain a better
understanding of the Iberian dinosaurs of the Jurassic–Cretaceous
transition. Nevertheless, the theropod record from this Formation is
scarce. Based on our study of a sample of theropod teeth recovered
from different Riodevan sites, we have come to the conclusion that
dinosaur assemblages in Riodeva include at least three different kinds
of theropods: big non-coelurosaur tetanurans, middle-sized allosaurids
and small dromaeosaurs. These three types of theropods represent new
elements in the record of dinosaurs, which until now includes
sauropods (turiasaurians, diplodocids, macronarians), stegosaurs and
ornithopods.