Fw: Theropod auctions (RE: ankylosaur turbinates)

Sent again because Yahoo is too stupid to let me default replies to plain text.

Turbinates are rare in dinosaurs (generally just rare in most fossils), but
there has been the occasional preserved case. Ankylosaur (olfactory) turbinates
have been reported on before. See:

Miyashita, T., Arbour, V.M., Witmer, L.M., Currie, P.J.2011. The Internal
Cranial Morphology of an Armoured Dinosaur Euoplocephalus Corroborated by X-Ray
Computed Tomographic Reconstruction. J.Anat. Vol.219(6):661-675.

Jason

http://reptilis.net

>>________________________________

Chinese export.  :(
>>Regarding the "Carcharodontosaurus" toe on page 105, is there anything
>>diagnostic about theropod toes that would exclude this from being the toe of
>>another Kem Kem giant theropod such as *Spinosaurus*?
>>----------------------------------------
>>> Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:12:13 -0400
>>> From: vjalp@mindspring.com
>>> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
>>> Subject: ankylosaur turbinates
>>>
>>> This auction notice for an ankylosaur skull, p. 242 of the pdf, claims that
>>> turbinates are present. Is this unusual in a dinosaur fossil?
>>> http://fineart.ha.com/common/auction/frontmatter/6068_catalogpdf.pdf.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jerry
Alpern