Re: Titanosaurs found in Australia

On Thu, May 17th, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Paul P <turtlecroc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Without a museum collection facility ... the material will
> remain scientifically unpublished," Dr Hocknull said.
>
> So, they're going to keep the bones--which likely represent
> one or more new taxa--in the rancher's calving barn until
> such time that the government antes up $1.25 million for
> an on-site museum..? Why not take them over to UQ or another
> existing institution?

Firstly, I can assure you Australia has neither 'ranchers' nor 'calving barns'
(whatever they may
be). I think you meant some stockman's shearing shed. :-)

Secondly, he's almost certainly using hyperbole in an attempt to drum up
publicity for the planned
Eromanga Natural History Museum:
http://ogf.org.au/eromanga-dinosaur-project/

According to their website:
"OGF [Outback Gondwana Foundation] fossil preparators, Queensland Museum
technicians and
volunteers prepare all the Eromanga dinosaur?s bones in a purpose build field
museum about
30kms from the excavation site."

The Eromanga Natural History Museum is intended to be a place to permanently
house specimens
in the area, and to 'expedite the classification process'. Plenty of other
fossils from the area have
been described so far, so I doubt any important finds would remain completely
unpublished even
without a local museum facility. It might just take a bit longer to happen.

Dann Pigdon