Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

I was recently reading a review paper on sloth paleobiology, in which
they considered a hypothesis relative to mountain-climbing in certain
"ground" sloths. I do not much know abouth how to detect a
mountain-climbing ecomorphotype, but it seems to me that
mountain-climbing is less complicated for parasagitally-constrained
animals than tree-climbing, at least considering that there are more
ungulates climbing mountains than climbing trees. If flight has to
begin from upwards to downwards, you may not need trees if you can
prove an animal is a mountain climber (if the presence of such an
ecomorphotype can be evaluated in basal avialians). Besides, this may
be tested if there is found some correlation between basal avialian
findings and geological evidence of coeval ancient mountains...