Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

GSPaul <GSP1954@aol.com> wrote:

> That it is so Sinornithosaurus like reinforces that these are very close,
> probably congeneric relatives. The new UT dromaeosaur cladogram showing these
> widely phylogentically separated shows how cladistics can lead one down the
> garden path.

Errr... what?  The cladogram in the _Yurgovuchia_ paper shows
_Microraptor_ as sister taxon to a
_Sinornithosaurus_/_Cryptovolans_/_Graciliraptor_ clade.  Hardly
"widely phylogenetically separated".  You may lump them all into one
genus (_Sinornithosaurus_) if you wish - although I really wish you
wouldn't.

BTW, the dinosaur classification in the "The Princeton Field Guide to
Dinosaurs" drove me absolutely nuts, especially the rampant lumping.
It convinced me more than ever of the utility of cladistics, rather
than classifications based on intuition.

> The data I have on multiple specimens shows these were highly arboreal with
> limited time spent on the ground. Could sprawl but also stand erect.

I look forward to seeing said data.  To me, there is nothing about
_Microraptor_ (or _Sinornithosaurus_ or _Archaeopteryx_ or
_Jeholornis_ or _Anchiornis_ or _Xiaotingia_) to suggest any of these
theropods were "highly arboreal".  But I'm happy to be proved wrong on
this.  Having said that, reading "Dinosaurs of the Air" cover-to-cover
didn't convince me that deinonychosaurs and oviraptorosaurs were
secondarily flightless birds.

Cheers

Tim