RE: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

> Do taxonomists in these other specialties care if genera are
> paraphyletic?  That's the usual justification I see
> whenever someone splits a dinosaur genus.

The only ones that don't (as a rule-of-thumb) generally care are entomologists
and botanists, but even there it is quite rare nowadays. In ornithology,
justifying paraphyletic genera is decidedly fringe (can't remember when I saw
it the last time), and for mammals it's not very different. It might be a bit
tricky in herpetology due to the frequent incidence of hybridogenic taxa.

But overall, most taxonomists from the 1960 and onwards generations strongly
advocate monophyletic genera.

Eike